We are currently seeking a talented and motivated communications director.
Compensation and benefits are competitive. The Washington State Republican Party is headquartered in Bellevue, WA.
The Communications Director is responsible for developing, implementing and supervising the Party’s statewide communications program and message development efforts. The program includes new media, traditional media, public relations, earned and paid media, publications, advertising, and support to State Committee, Executive Board, and member county parties.
- Manages media relations for the Party and acts as press secretary for the Chairman; screens press calls; coordinates with counterparts at various GOP campaigns, allied interest groups, and the offices of GOP elected officials. Opens new lines of communication and strengthens existing lines of communication with county GOP organizations, campaigns, legislative partners, and other allies.
- Implements a proactive communications plan, issuing statements, responding to inquiries, requests for information, and requests for interviews and comments.
- Writes, edits, and distributes news releases, email blasts, media advisories, op-ed articles, social media posts, and plans and manages news conferences, occasional editorial board meetings, photo opportunities and other media events.
- Oversees the production of publications, website content and design, and social media content and design, including writing and editing copy, oversight of publication design and graphics, and coordinating printing, graphic design, and production of other promotional materials (auction, convention, fall dinner, etc.). Regularly updates and maintains the website and social media pages. Stays on top of the continual changes and new developments in social media and other new media.
- Manages the State Party’s email list, honors unsubscribe requests, and imports new subscribers lists.
- Assists the Chairman with message development and promotion (prepping for print, TV, radio, and other interviews; propagation of the WSRP message). Prepares regular (usually weekly) proposals for upcoming communications and media projects and strategy. Develops and reports on metrics and measurements to monitor and gauge success and progress.
- Provides assistance and guidance to county GOP organizations on website, social media, and email list development. Updates the WSRP Calendar with statewide/county Republican events. Teaches communication topics at seminars, and works with the Social Media committee, schedules IT consultant for occasional maintenance needs and installation of new software/hardware at WSRP headquarters.
- Maintains files and information on political figures and issues and coordinates research activities with other Republican and allied organizations. Implements a policy of excellent research for rapid and effective response to news and political developments.
- Monitors media coverage and makes regular reports to the Chairman, Executive Director and Political Director on new media and traditional media coverage.
- Reports to the Executive Director and the Chairman.
Outstanding written and verbal communication skills. Experience in politics, marketing, social media outreach, website management preferred. Outstanding computer and research skills required.
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and writing sample electronically to WSRP Executive Director Caleb Heimlich (email@example.com).